7.01.2015

Book Review: The Night Circus

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called "Le Cirque des Reves," and it is only open at night.
But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.
True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus performers to the 

patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Rating: ★★★

   As mentioned on my May Wrap-Up and June TBR post, the Book of the Month for June for my Book Club was The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I was extremely excited to start reading this book and I had a lot of expectations for it because I've heard a lot of good things about it, and I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the circus. It is so magical and I wish it was real. But it didn't have a very strong plot. I gave it three out of five stars. 
   This book had a very slow pace, so it was boring very often. The story was confusing and I did not like the writer's writing style, it didn't have a nice flow. The idea of the circus is very interesting, but the main conflict surrounding the book was not. Most things weren't even explained. The book is in third person objective, so we didn't know the character's thoughts or feelings. And the writer didn't talk about them very much so we basically didn't know anything about them! So I couldn't relate to them at all! There should've had more character development. 
   I didn't like how they made such a big deal of things that weren't even that important. I spent the whole book waiting for something to happen. And the game wasn't even explained. It wasn't explained to the main characters because they weren't supposed to know, but I was like "But I need to know!!!" Some details were extremely pointless and there was a lack of the details for important things. However, I enjoyed the book and the small sections in second person were the best. The main characters were okay, I love Poppet and Widget!

 I recommend the book if you think you'll enjoy it, some of my friends really loved it. But this is just a disclaimer so that you don't expect to love the book like I did and get disappointed later. 

Sorry if there are any spelling errors! I don't speak english fluently so I apologize. :)

                    


No comments:

Post a Comment