12.19.2015

November Wrap-Up and December TBR

    
   Hi guys! I know I'm late, I know. But yesterday was my last day of school before winter break so now I hope I'll have more time to post. I read a good amount of books during the month of November. Which is impressive, since I was also doing NaNoWriMo. It's hard to believe I had time to read at all! 

1- The Demigod Diaries (4/5)
    After finishing The Heroes of Olympus series, I couldn't just leave the PJO and HoO world. I needed more. And I love this little companion books, I've been waiting to read The Demigod Diaries since it came out. But I didn't want to get spoiled for HoO, so... The stories were cute and the games too. To be honest, I don't like most of the characters images. They are weird, and nothing like what I picture them to be. But let me tell you, there are some fantastic fan arts out there!  
    This book was on my November TBR so √

2- The Diviners (4.5/5)
   Woah, that was a long book. It was the book that my Book Club chose for November, so I had to read it. I've been wanting to read it for so long! I've heard so many good things about it! I didn't write a review on it because I didn't have time, and now it is not fresh in my head, so I don't think it would be fair to write a review for it without having the exact thoughts that I had when I finished it. I really liked it. It actually took me a while to do so, but once I did I couldn't stop reading. The story is intriguing (and creepy!), and I just want to know more about the Diviners. The new book, Lair of Dreams, just came out and I'll definitely read it when I have time to do so. I like that the story is set in the 20s. I learned a lot about that decade just from reading this book, and I know that the author had to do some serious research on it. Some characters are really interesting, and others got on my nerves. I learned to like Evie, even though she was annoying at times. One of my only problems was that I think that the book didn't have to be that long. Some scenes really dragged on and others were kind of unnecessary. But overall I think this was a great read and I definitely recommend it!
   This book was on my November TBR so √

3- Beanstalk (2.5/5)
    This was my Book Club book for the month of December. I know that you're looking at the 2.5 rating and thinking: Woah, was it really that bad? I don't want to sound mean, but this might be one of the worst written books I've ever read. I'm not gonna talk too much about it, since it's seems a bit unfair since the author self published the book and all. I really did not like her writing style. At all. It actually made me really mad while reading it. I like the characters, some of them at least, and I think that the story sounds interesting. But there was literally no main conflict. The characters were just doing stuff, and they didn't really have a final goal in mind. I kind of enjoyed the book, it wasn't terrible... But I don't know... Some of my friends really loved it, and some had the same opinion than I. I might read the next book that just came out, Echoes of a Giantkiller, which actually has a really cool title. My friend said that that one is better, since it has a plot and more important stuff happens. Well, we'll see... Here is the link of the free ebook copy is you wanna read it: http://ejadelomax.com/leaguesandlegends/beanstalk/
   This book was on my November TBR so √

Here is my December TBR:

Year of Mistaken Discoveries

Eileen Cook herself gave me a signed copy of her book when she came to my Creative Writing class. She is super nice and I actually read the book in two days. I aspire to write the way she does. She has that kind of writing style that it's easy and enjoyable to read. 

   As first graders, Avery and Nora bonded over a special trait they shared: they were both adopted.
   Years later, Avery is smart, popular, and on the cheerleading squad, while Nora spends her time on the fringes of school society, wearing black, reading esoteric poetry, and listening to obscure music. They never interact...until the night Nora approaches Avery at a party, saying it's urgent. She tells Avery that she thought she found her birth mom, but it turned out to be a cruel lie. Avery feels for Nora, but returns to her friends at the party.
   Then Avery learns that Nora overdosed on pills. Left to cope with Nora's loss and questioning her own actions, Avery decides to honor her friend by launching a search for her own birth mother. Aided by Brody, a friend of Nora's who is also looking for a way to respect Nora's legacy, Avery embarks on an emotional quest. But what she's really seeking might go far deeper than just genetics.


The Martian

   First of all, isn't this cover so cool? I love it. Anyways, I'm currently reading this book. I watched the movie and I really liked it. I saw that some booktubers were reading this book, and I bought it during Black Friday, so I though: Why not?

   Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.
   After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate the planet while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded on Mars' surface, completely alone, with no way to signal Earth that he’s alive — and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone years before a rescue could arrive.
   Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.
   Armed with nothing but his ingenuity and his engineering skills — and a gallows sense of humor that proves to be his greatest source of strength – he embarks on a dogged quest to stay alive.


Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

   I am ashamed to admit that I've never read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. (I call it Philosopher's Stone tho :P) It just never happened. But now that I have this beautiful illustrated copy, I will finally read it. I am actually excited to do so, and also because it's christmas and all. 

Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and has never worn a cloak of invisibility.

All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley--a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.

But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry--and anyone who reads about him---will find unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment