1.15.2016

Book Review: Neverwhere



Richard Mayhew is a plain man with a good heart - and an ordinary life that is changed forever on a day he stops to help a girl he finds bleeding on a London sidewalk. From that moment forward he is propelled into a world he never dreamed existed - a dark subculture flourishing in abandoned subway stations and sewer tunnels below the city - a world far stranger and more dangerous than the only one he has ever known...

Rating: ★★.5

    Hello! It's been a while since my last book review... Sorry about that. Anyways, this is going to be a review of the book Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. This was my book club book of the month of January. To be honest, I wasn't very happy with this being the book club choice, because the story just didn't sound appealing to me. It is actually based of a tv show from 1996! Which is weird, you don't really hear about tv shows/movies being made into books. Neil Gaiman is a very famous author, and the only other book that I've read by him is Coraline (and I love Coraline). So I was expecting a lot more than what I actually got. I don't want to give any spoilers, but I honestly would not recommend this book to anyone. You might have different opinions than me (most of my book club members did), but that's okay. 
     The characters weren't very appealing to me.  There was absolutely nothing special about the main character, Richard Mayhew. And you could see that the author was trying to make him special and able to do some stuff, but it just didn't feel right. I liked Door, and her power. She was nice. Anaesthesia was nice too. I actually really liked the villains, Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar. They were so creepy! And they did some really bad things! But that's what made them well written characters. Besides them, I didn't really like any other characters. 
     I feel that this book had a lot of unnecessary information. And it was very detailed (more than enough). But it was published in 1996 and I understand that things were a bit different back then. I just didn't like Neil Gaiman's writing style. It's been a while since I read Coraline, so maybe I would notice the things that I don't like about his writing if I reread it nowadays. 
   There were a lot of things in this book. I was trying to explain it to my brother, and he said that it sounded like the author had a weird dream and he decided to write about it. And that he added a bunch of random things together and published it. I wish he had focused more in just one thing. I guess the story would work for a tv show (even though it is a Mini Series). I haven't watched it yet, but I plan on doing so. 
   So yeah... I don't really have anything else to say... Please tell me bellow if you've read this book. and what you though of it. I really want to know!

                  

No comments:

Post a Comment