2.15.2016

Book Review: A Monster Calls

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.


Rating: ★★★★★

      This book was not what I was expecting it to be at all. I decided to go into it without knowing anything besides what it says on the back cover. I've heard a lot of people saying that they loved this book, so I was excited to finally read it. I've never read anything by Patrick Ness but I've heard he is an amazing author. At the beginning I was a bit confused, I wasn't sure what the direction that the book was taking was, but I got it half way through reading it. I loved this book! I gave it 5 stars on Goodreads! My friend and I have surprisingly different taste for books, and I was thinking about why, and what makes me truly love a book. I finally realized that the books that I love are the books that make me feel something. Now, I know you're probably rolling you eyes and thinking "Duh!", but hear me out. There are some books that have amazing writing, and great plots, but if I didn't cry, or "fangirlied" over romantic moments, or anything of the kind, I probably won't give it 5 stars. That's why I love romantic/contemporary books. And my friend is the opposite. She doesn't really like romance books, and she never cries while reading a book. I could never do something like that.

(There aren't any spoilers. But you may figure something out about the ending if you read my reaction. So I'll leave you to decide if you want to keep reading)

   Through out three quarters of the book, I thought I was going to give it 4 stars. It has great writing, I can relate to the main character, and the whole monster thing is pretty weird and cool. What changed my mind was the ending. I won't give away any spoilers, but the ending was so heartbreaking but satisfactory in a way. 
    The main character's name is Conor, and his mom suffers from cancer. I can really relate to that, since I've lost my grandparents for cancer years ago. This book was somewhat important for me, because it deals with grief. In a different way that you might think, but there are quotes and messages that I could take away from it. Someone really close to me passed away on the week that I finished "A Monster Calls". So the book was really relatable to me. 

     I super recommend this book! It's a quick read, it has awesome illustrations, and Patrick Ness is a great author. It is going to become a movie and I am really excited for that!!!

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment