9.01.2016

August Wrap Up & September TBR



         I didn't read that much this month, I'm not really sure why. I got a bit of a  reading slump, so that might be why... But that's okay tho. :)

    1- The Gunslinger (2.5/.5)
        My cousin recommended this book to me because this is the first book of one of his favourite series. I was staying at my other cousin's house and he had this book, so I decided to read it. This is my first Stephen King book, but it isn't a thriller so I was okay with reading it. I honestly spent the whole novel not really knowing what was going on. I guess the writing style didn't really appeal to me, and the characters weren't very likeable at all (well I kinda liked Jake but oh well). I supposed the rest of the series is better than the first book, which only gives us a foundation of what's going on. Which was kind of annoying, since not much happened and the flashbacks were weirdly placed. Maybe in the future I'll read the other books but I don't have any desire to do that anytime soon.
         This book was on my August TBR so √
      
      2- The Trials of Apollo - The Hidden Oracle (4/5)    
        Apollo is probably my favourite god in Mount Olympus. He is so funny and just really cool. But sometimes he's too egocentric for his own good. I loved seeing him go through so many hardships as a human in this book. At some point, he mentioned how gods don't change much during their lifetimes (which is very long), but throughout the course of this book we got to see Apollo change and become a better person/god. I was so glad to see some of the characters that we haven't seen in so long, particularly Percy who is my favourite. And a particular relationship that I didn't know was canon actually is in this book and I couldn't be more happier. It was absolutely adorable. To be honest, I didn't like Meg much. But I liked how unique she is. That's what I love about Rick's characters. They are always believable and have unique personalities. I can't wait to see what the next book brings us. 

    3- Princesa das Águas (5/5)
         I didn't think it would be worth writing a full review about a book that is only on sale in Brazil, no matter how much I loved it. This book is a retelling of the little mermaid (who is my favourite princess), where the main character is a (fictitious) famous Brazilian swimmer who is going to compete in the Olympics. She ends up falling in love with a Swiss tennis player after saving his life. The book is absolutely adorable, and it was super cool reading it during the actual Olympics. It's definitely a favourite.
        This book was on my August TBR so √

SEPTEMBER TBR

         Graceling 
        I'm rereading this for my book club, and I'm so excited because I absolutely love Graceling.

       Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight - she's a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king's thug.

When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change.

She never expects to become Po's friend.
She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace - or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away...  
          
         Well, I don't have anything else planned. I'll probably read the book that my book club picks for next month, and a few more. Comment below if you've read any of the books I mentioned in this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment