9.25.2016

Book Review: Monsters of Men


As a world-ending war surges around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions. The indigenous Spackle, thinking and acting as one, have mobilized to avenge their murdered people. Ruthless human leaders prepare to defend their factions at all costs, even as a convoy of new settlers approaches. And as the ceaseless Noise lays all thoughts bare, the projected will of the few threatens to overwhelm the desperate desire of the many. The consequences of each action, each word, are unspeakably vast: To follow a tyrant or a terrorist? To save the life of the one you love most, or thousands of strangers? To believe in redemption, or assume it is lost? Becoming adults amid the turmoil, Todd and Viola question all they have known, racing through horror and outrage toward a shocking finale. 

Rating: ★★★★

             Monsters of Men is the third and final book on the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness, following The Knife of Never Letting Go and The Ask and the Answer. This review will have spoilers from the previous two books, and I’ll warn you if I’m about to mention a Monsters of Men major spoiler. 
     So if you’ve read the other two books, you know that the war is still going on. We thought that things would start to get better after Todd and Viola captured the mayor, but we were wrong. Now the Spackle have joined the party, and there’s a three-sided war going on. And a scout ship has just landed, bringing another problem to deal with. 
     I really enjoyed this book but I still had one problem with it, the same one that I did with the other books. It never has a moment of peace. A moment where nothing is happening and the characters don’t have to worry about anything at all. Something bad always happens right when we think things are starting to get better. Particularly in this novel. I’ve never seen a peace treaty be so hard to get. There were so many ups and downs, and when everything was good, someone came to destroy the happiness. (And most of the time it was either Mistress Coyle or Mayor Prentiss, I mean what’s wrong with those two??). So I wish Patrick Ness had given some slack to Todd and Viola, because man their lives suck! 
     Although this bothered me, it also always surprised me and made me frustrated (even though I should’ve been expecting it most of the time). And it’s always good for an author to make the reader feel something. And because I care so much for Todd and Viola, I was 100% hopping for the best to happen to them. It took me slightly more time to read this one than it did to read The Ask and the Answer, but I guess it’s because this book was too much to handle at times, just too much war. (And also because I didn’t want the trilogy to end!). 
     This book was indeed very entertaining and I loved it just like I loved the two first books in the trilogy. The characters were great and (even though I hated some of them) they were super interesting and I loved getting to know each and everyone of them.
     Anyways, Patrick Ness is a great author and I can’t wait to read his other books! I super recommend the Chaos Walking trilogy and let me know what you thought of them if you’ve read it already!



QUICK SPOILER ABOUT MoM


     Remember on my The Ask and the Answer review when I  said:



      Well, it kinda happened with Todd. So okay, it wasn’t Viola but I liked this parallel with the other novels. Also I was totally not expecting that! I was reading the book in class and I almost had a heart attack! Good thing that Todd didn’t actually die! 


No comments:

Post a Comment