12.01.2016

NaNoWriMo 2016


       So, last year I won NaNoWriMo. It was my first time and I did it. Which was unbelievable. I had almost not plotted at all, I only had half of a very shitty outline, but I did it. 
       This year I planned a lot for it. 
       I had a full plot outline, character sheets, world building info... I had NaNo planning sessions with my friend. I was ready. 
       Turns out this time around it was harder.
       There are many possible explanations as to why I didn't win NaNoWriMo this year. I am in Grade 12 and planning for the future takes way more time than I had expected. There were quite a few grad events happening. I got sick at beginning of the month and for a while I didn't feel like doing anything besides staying in bed watching tv. The workload that consequently comes with school was making me too tired...
       So it got to the point where I was really behind, and I was stressing myself too much over it. I was forcing myself to write while I had other things to worry about. 
        Although I do wish I had won this year like I did in 2015, I don't regret giving up. Well, to be honest I didn't totally give up. I kept writing till the very last day. I just wasn't so worried about winning anymore. I'm not gonna lie, it was a good decision. 
        NaNoWriMo is hard. And stressful. And it makes you hate writing. And that is totally understandable. 50,000 words is a lot! Sometimes you can take that sort of stress, and sometimes it is better to let it go. 
        I will probably try it again next year. And, fingers crossed, I will finish this novel till then. The good thing is: I already have 25,000 words on the page. Just have to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment