8.17.2014

Book Review: The Last Letter from your Lover

   I've finished reading The Last Letter from your Lover last night and I have to say that the ending was adorable. 
  
   It is 1960. When Jennifer Stirling wakes up in the hospital, she can remember nothing-not the tragic car accident that put her there, not her husband, not even who she is. She feels like a stranger in her own life until she stumbles upon an impassioned letter, signed simply "B", asking her to leave her husband.

   Years later, in 2003, a journalist named Ellie discovers the same enigmatic letter in a forgotten file in her newspaper's archives. She becomes obsessed by the story and hopeful that it can resurrect her faltering career. Perhaps if these lovers had a happy ending she will find one to her own complicated love life, too. Ellie's search will rewrite history and help her see the truth about her own modern romance.

P.S.: THERE ARE SPOILERS!

   I read this book in portuguese and the Brazilian edition has 384 pages  (the USA edition has 400 pages)  so I'll be basing my review on that. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads. It's not a bad book but it's not my type of book either. 
  Okay, so the book starts with Ellie Haworth in 2003. It's a brief introduction of this young journalist finding some letters from back 1960, between two lovers. That introduction was kind of confusing to me. The writer was giving too much information at once and I wasn't really interested about all of those details at the moment. 
  Then it's 1960 and Jennifer Stirling wakes up in a hospital and we find out that she was in a car accident and she lost her memory. Jennifer is married to a rich man, lives in a big house, her mom is proud of her and she has rich friends. A perfect life. She doesn't want to disappoint people so she pretends that everything is normal but actually she doesn't remember much things and she feels like a part of her life is missing. No one wants to tell her what really happened at the accident. In my opinion, till page 159, the book was really boring, there weren't any plot twists or any surprises at all. Jennifer had found some letters and she realized that she had a lover and she was planning on leaving everything behind just to be with him. The book was going back and forth from before the accident to after it and it was just so confusing. On page 159 Jennifer decides to leave her husband and go after this mysterious B (how Anthony, her lover, signed the letters), but Laurence (her husband) reveals to her that her lover was in the car and died in the accident. Some pages later we discover that that is not true, but Jennifer doesn't know that. 
   That's when things start getting interesting. 4 years after this attempt on leaving Laurence, Jennifer stills lives with him. She didn't have anywhere to go and she didn't have a plan after finding out that Anthony was dead. She gave birth to a little girl called Esme. And if you guys don't know I love kids! It's just something that I've always loved and when there are babies or kids in a movie or book I get more interested in it (I know it's weird but whatever.). So I was pretty excited that Jennifer had a daughter, yet sad because she wasn't the same woman. She didn't have emotions, she was sad and she was taking medicines because she was feeling depressed. She knew that Laurence had a lover but she didn't care. One day they went to a party at a friend's house and there she saw Anthony and everything changed. He had spent all this time in New York, working there. But after a night when they slept together, he was ready to come back and live with Jennifer. But Jennifer couldn't do this to her daughter. She wasn't ready.
   Some days later Jennifer finds a way to blackmail her husband and she goes away with Esme. After going to Anthony's job, his boss tells her that he went to Africa. Jennifer gets very sad and go to a hotel with Esme. To start a new life.
   Then we go back (or forth :P) to 2003. Where Ellie is trying to find this two lovers. There were so many useless information on the next chapters (in my opinion) that I found it quite boring. When she finally meets Jennifer and hear all the story I realized that I was looking forward to know when Jennifer and Anthony would find each other. Because we find out that after that last night, they hadn't seen each other again. The plot twist that really caught me was when Ellie finds out that Anthony works at the Nation, at the same place that she works! When he and Jennifer start writing letters to each other again I started crying and didn't stop till the end of the book. It was so cute! And when they finally meet at the park it was so exciting and beautiful! 

   I have to say I was going to give only 2.5 stars to this book but the end made me rethink things. This is not a book that I really enjoyed reading (It took me 17 days to finish it!) but if you  like romance books (I do but not this kind of romance) then I recommend it to you. And the good thing is that it has a beautiful cover! And look at this other one:


   It's so pretty! 
   I hope you guys liked my review and I'm sorry about the spelling errors! Like I said before I don't speak english fluently. Please tell me in the comments about any error! 
   Have you read this book? And have you read anything from Jojo Moyes? Comment below! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment