9.17.2014

Book Review: Insurgent

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.


Rating: ★★★.5

   So, this book was not on my September TBR list but I spent my money buying The Assassin's Curse and The Pirate's Wish on Amazon, so I decided to read books that I have on my TBR pile. I have had Insurgent since my birthday (March) and it was sitting there on my bookshelf, unread, so I decided to pick it up and finally read it. When I read Divergent I was with high expectations because everyone was talking about it and there was a movie (I read it on January, so it was before the movie). And I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I still consider myself on the Divergent Fandom but it is not my favourite series and I'm not a 100% sure but I think I liked the movie better than the book. I don't like Tris in the book, and that's pretty bad because Divergent is written in first person so we are with Tris basically all the time. Maybe that's why I didn't like the book so much. And I don't think that Shailene Woodley portrayed Tris perfectly. I mean, I don't think she acted just like Tris on the movie. And that's probably why I liked the movie better, because Shailene was a better Tris than the Tris from the books (If that makes any sense). This time I wasn't with high expectations because I've heard that Insurgent and Allegiant are not as good as Divergent. But after I finished reading it, I give it 3.5 stars, not because I loved the book, it is not a bad book either, but because I think that it was what it had to be. Only a continuation to the story. I have some complains about it but overall I think it was a good continuation to Divergent. 

  THIS REVIEW WILL HAVE SPOILERS!

   I think that Tris's reaction to her killing Will and her parents death and her dealing with it was kind of annoying. She couldn't stop thinking about it and it was really repetitive. She should have dealt with it sooner. She killed him because it was necessary, not because she wanted to! And wanting to die is definitely not a good self-sacrifice like what her parents did. Tris is kind of stupid and annoying to me and I don't know how people like her so much. 
   Now lets talk about Caleb. At the beginning I thought it was funny when he was interrogating Tobias about his relationship with Tris. And some scenes later that Caleb was in I still thought that he was cute. I was spoiled before so I knew that he was a traitor. But still, that was shocking! How could he??? He seemed so nice! How could he let Jeanine torture and kill Tris??? I'm so mad at him. 
   Tobias was also an annoying part of this book. His relationship with Tris was getting ridiculous. They kept fighting and forgiving each other! Are you serious? I would be very mad at him if I was Tris. He didn't listen to her or agreed with her! And then at the end he was like "You're right.". And then they kiss. They forgive each other to easily, and they are kissing all the time! I just can't see love between them. 
   When the Amity injected Tris with that Peace Serum, it was hilarious! Tris in the peace serum is so much funnier than the normal Tris! I hope this scene is on the movie! I just wanna see Shailene Woodley like that! 
   I didn't trust the Factionless since the beginning. Well I kind of did, but I knew that their goal was different from the Dauntless'. And they forgave them very easily for the fact that the Dauntless never helped  them! 
   I thought that it was extremely unfair of the Candor to put Tris and Four under the Truth Serum in front of everyone. But they are Candor after all...
   Christina took such a long time to forgive Tris. But she did, and that's what is important. I think that I missed Christina more than Tris missed her. Christina is one of my favourite character so I was happy when she was finally doing something in the book. 
   I am happy that Marlene, Lynn and Uriah were on Tris side since the beginning and I'm incredible sad that Lynn and Marlene died. I was surprised when Lynn admitted that she was in love with Marlene, I wish that her feelings were more obvious. I thought she liked Uriah. :P Who else was shocked when Uriah said that he was Divergent? I was definitely not expecting that! And Marcus (hate that man) is Divergent too???
   Tris going to the Erudite headquarters is like the dumbest idea ever! I remember when, in Divergent, Christina said that Tris had a death wish. She definitely have! What is her problem??? How could she think that that was a good idea?
   And I was very shocked when Peter saved Tris and Four. I was actually very happy because I don't hate Peter, so I hope he gets better. 
   And I finally understand what Pansycake means! I've heard this word a lot in the Divergent Fandom. I was excited to be "into" that. :P
   I'm mad that Tori killed Jeanine and didn't even listen to Tris. I thought she was better than this! And she said that Tris was a traitor! How could she say that? 
   And the ending!!! I was so surprised!!! I'm so excited to read Allegiant and know what they are gonna do about the outside world! I was spoiled about a death in Allegiant, can't say that I'm super sad about it...

    I'm sorry if you didn't like my review. I just had to say what I thought. I hate when people say bad things of my Fandom so I apologize if this review offended you. 
   Thank you for reading my review!
     
  Sorry if there are any spelling errors! I don't speak english fluently so I apologize. :)

              

No comments:

Post a Comment