2.27.2015

Book Review: The Pirate's Wish

After setting out to break the curse that binds them together, the pirate Ananna and the assassin Naji find themselves stranded on an enchanted island in the north with nothing but a sword, their wits, and the secret to breaking the curse: complete three impossible tasks. With the help of their friend Marjani and a rather unusual ally, Ananna and Naji make their way south again, seeking what seems to be beyond their reach.

Unfortunately, Naji has enemies from the shadowy world known as the Mists, and Ananna must still face the repercussions of going up against the Pirate Confederation. Together, Naji and Ananna must break the curse, escape their enemies — and come to terms with their growing romantic attraction.


Rating: ★★★★.5

     THIS BOOK! OMG! I love this book so freaking much! Okay, so you guys know that I bought it a long time ago along with the first book in the series, The Assassin's Curse, but I only got this one because Barnes and Noble didn't have the first one! So at the beginning of the month I decided to buy the ebook version of it. You can read my review of The Assassin's Curse here. I gave the first book 3.5 stars and I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. This became one of my favourite books ever! I don't even know where to start this review. First I'm just gonna give you a free spoiler review and then I'll get to the spoilery section. 
    After reading The Assassin's Curse I went straight on reading The Pirate's Wish. As I said on my last review, I love the characters. Ananna and Naji are amazing characters and easy to relate to, in a way. Marjani is so cool and there was a lot of character development for all of them. I couldn't stop reading it and now I can't stop thinking about it! And now I have a reading slump because I don't want to start reading a new book and take this story out of my mind! I loved how Annana and Naji's relationship was in this book. I mean, there were A LOT of scenes where I was so annoyed with them that I just wanted to scream out of frustration. But the writer always gave us scenes that we could fangirl (a lot!) over. At the end I was just so excited and ahhhhh! I also liked the way that they dealt with the whole thing about the curse. The only thing that I really didn't like because it didn't make sense at all was one of the tasks that they had t do to break the curse. That was probably why I gave it 4.5 instead of 5 stars. I recommend you all to read both of these books because I think that the writer needs a lot of support, now that she can't sell her books anymore because the publisher closed. 

    THE REVIEW BELLOW CONTAINS SPOILERS OF THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE AND THE PIRATE'S WISH. 

     Let's start with my favourite character of all time: The Manticore. Like OH MY GOD how I love this thing! She is so adorable (even when she is talking about terrible things, like eating humans). I loved every scene that she was in and it made the book so much better. The scenes where she let Ananna ride her were precious. 
    Just so you know, this review is going to be all over the place. 
    When Ananna kissed Naji, I was freaking out because I care so much about these characters, that I just wanted their happiness. Before that, I didn't see any signs of attraction between them, I only knew that Ananna liked him because the book is in first-person point of view. The thing that I am so mad about is that Naji only openly express his feelings when he wakes up after he touched the starstones. And I don't understand why, it was never explained why he didn't say anything to Ananna when she completed the true love's kiss task besides "thank you". I think that her reaction to it all was really believable. I would've probably done the same thing. 
   I was so annoyed with Ananna at the beginning when she thought "Oh, I'm just gonna get water while Naji is fishing. There's nothing to worry about, he won't even know that I'm gone, it is completely safe." And she freaking did that 100 times even thought all of the times she got in danger. Like seriously? Is it so hard to understand?? No wonder Naji was so annoyed with her, I would be too (in fact, I am). 
   The Pirate scenes were so cool! The fights and everything were great. And the scene where Ananna was shot was so intense! And it was so cute that Naji was taking care of her, I believe that he was doing it because he cared about her, not because it hurt him too. And they had that blood-bond thingy. So weird... But cool anyways. 
   I loved the scene where they were eating with the Manticore's. It was funny just to image it. But I was so mad when they gave Ananna "the boon". Like I was hoping that it was real (and maybe it was a little bit) and I was so frustrated that I almost started crying. And when Ananna found out, I was surprised that she didn't cry because I would be crying like a baby. It was nice later when she and Marjani talked about it. 
    I hated the Mists people. So annoying!!! Like: go away already, no one likes you!
    Queen Saida was so sweet and it was nice to see that there was a homosexual couple in the book and it wasn't treated as a big deal at all. 
    I was so happy when Ananna's parents appeared. Cuz she always talks about them and I was so eager to read a scene with them in it. It was terrible when Naji touched the starstones. So sad... But them those assassins came and when Naji woke up... I was so freaking happy! He kissed Ananna! He kissed her!!! And after that they were so romantic with each other (relationship goals ❤). 
   Now, the thing that I didn't like. The sea kingdom. Like, WHAT THE HELL? It didn't make any sense, those sharks that speak and everything. Create  life out of an act of violence. That was completely insane. 
   And then Naji told Ananna that they couldn't stay together because he was an assassin and she was a pirate and both had different things to do. I was mad. But I loved the last chapter. It was a great ending. 

   Have you read this book? What did you think about it?

Sorry if there are any spelling errors! I don't speak english fluently so I apologize. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment