6.04.2016

May Wrap-Up and June TBR






Yay! I read six books and I'm happy! I didn't write any review this past month so that's upsetting. I've been really focusing on school right now. I always try to find time for reading though. 

1- Stardust (3/5)
     This was May's pick for my Book Club. You might remember that I read Neverwhere (also by Neil Gaiman) this year and I did not like it. To be honest, I didn't like Stardust either. But in my opinion, it is better than Neverwhere. This book just doesn't make much sense, and it's annoying. I liked how the paths of the characters came together, that was kinda cool. The princes and their story was my favourite part of the book. I still have to watch the movie, the trailer makes the story look cooler. 
     This book was in my May TBR so √

2- Me Before You (5/5)
     I wanted to read this book before watching the movie. I watched the trailer beforehand and I really liked it. It's really cute. This book is really good and that I loved it and I cannot wait to watch the movie! I wrote a review on it here.
     This book was in my May TBR so √

3- Não Pare! (2.5/5)
     This is a book written by a Brazilian author. It's in Portuguese, and I don't think it's being sold in other countries, but the translation of the title is "Don't Stop". My aunt gave it to me a long time ago and I finally decided to pick it up. I didn't really like this book. The writing style is not very good, and the plot is confusing and not very well written. It reminds me a lot of other books that I've read. The characters were annoying and had confusing/weird personalities. There were, however, some interesting things that, if it were written differently, could have led to a better novel. It's frustrating when things like this happen and you see how a perfect opportunity was not well used. I don't really recommend it but I might get the next book just to find out what happened, who knows...

4- Endgame - The Calling (3.5/5)
     This was quite an interesting book. The whole real life contest thing behind it was really confusing and annoying. I still don't understand how someone won it. How do you even figure out those stuff?Most of the links made no sense whatsoever, so that was really frustrating and annoying. Although I see that that was the author's intention, it was a bit distracting from the novel itself. The story was kinda confusing too, but interesting. I liked the characters and the plot. And I am really curious about what will happen next. There were a lot of characters and it was hard to remember their names and lineage. To be honest, I don't really like Jago or Sarah, I don't want any of them to win. I'm excited to pick up the next book and see what's gonna happen. Maybe the next puzzle will make more sense.

5- A Long Way Gone (5/5)
     I read this one for school and it was pretty good. It's the memoir of Ishmael Beah, a child soldier in Sierra Leone. Although the story is really sad and haunting, it is also really interesting. It's hard to imagine that that actually happen. In my mind, that was just a story, and Ishmael was just a fictional character. But then I had to remind myself that Ishmael is the author and he went through all of that when he was just a kid. I learned a lot about Sierra Leone and it's a good book to read at school.

6- Found Things (3.5/5)
     I found this book at the store for four dollars so I bought. Mainly because the cover is really cute. The story is cute as well, nothing too exciting happened but it was a nice little middle grade book. I really liked River but I didn't trust Meadow Lark at all. Oh well, it was okay.


JUNE TBR

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There

     I read this book a long time ago. Now I just watched "Alice Through the Looking Glass" and I decided to reread this story. 


Weary of her storybook, one "without pictures or conversations," the young and imaginative Alice follows a hasty hare underground--to come face-to-face with some of the strangest adventures and most fantastic characters in all of literature. 

The Ugly Duchess, the Mad Hatter, the weeping Mock Turtle, the diabolical Queen of Hearts, the Cheshire Cat--each more eccentric than the last--could only have come from that master of sublime nonsense, Lewis Carroll. 



Well, I don't have anything else planned. We'll see what I read next. Until then, I'll try to post at least one review. Hopefully I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment