7.02.2016

Book Review: The Selection Series


     I was at Chapters a few days ago and I saw The Elite. I had already read The Selection almost a year ago and I loved it, and I felt like I was taking too long to continue the series. So I bought the book. But I couldn't remember much of the first book, I mean, I remembered what happened but I wasn't immersed in that universe anymore. I needed to reread the first one so that I could be ready to read the second. I love this series and I super recommend it if this is your style of book. This will be a spoiler review so don't read the reviews if you haven't read the books or else you'll probably be spoiled. I don't plan on reading The Heir anytime soon because I just don't feel ready to read them. I don't wanna leave the Selection time period just yet. 


SPOILERS BELOW!

The Selection

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

     I already wrote a review on The Selection that is more detailed than this one, so if you click here you will be redirected to the post. But anyways, I love this trilogy. I know some people don't because I read this book in my book club and some people didn't like it. I can see the flaws that it has but honestly I just like the story. I love the characters even though America can be super frustrating and I love the setting and the whole competition. The book covers are absolutely gorgeous. It is a very fast paced book that you can read in just one sitting. I love all the Maxon and America moments and I love their relationship in this book the most because there's a lot less drama and arguing than the other two books. 


The Elite

The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.



I think this book is my least favourite of all the trilogy. America makes so many stupid decisions in this novel it's ridiculous. The Halloween party was so nice and I was completely shocked with the whole Marlee thing even though I kinda saw something coming with that guard because he was being mentioned just too many times. I liked the whole thing with the rebels and knowing more about Gregory Illea. America is just taking too long to make a decision. She had to choose between Maxon and Aspen even though the answer is obvious. I do see why she is torn apart tho, because I thought Aspen would end up being annoying and jealous like Gale in The Hunger Games series but he was actually super sweet and understanding. He was always there for America and I really admire that on him. There were a lot of rebel attacks in this book and only guards died or got hurt. Not that I wanted someone to die but I wanted a bit more action, it was looking just too easy and not as scary as the first ones. I absolutely hate King Clarkson. I was not expecting that of him! I thought he was nice, since the queen loves him and all and she is great. But when we find out about what he does to Maxon... I was shocked. Maxon is the sweetest, I'm not gonna lie tho, he did annoy me in this book sometimes. I understand that he is supposed to hang out with the other girls and all and that America wasn't giving him an answer but still. The whole thing with Kriss and Celeste was kinda low. I did really enjoy this book though and I flew through it. 


The One

The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants. 


I already knew that America would be the chosen one, it was kinda obvious. But I didn't know how it would happen and I actually really enjoyed the whole thing. I was getting sick of all the conflicts between Maxon and America though. Just tell that you love each other and be done with it! I was super glad that Aspen fell in love with Sophie, I saw it coming but I honestly can't picture the two of them together, and I'm glad that he and America parted off as friends. The competitiveness between the Elites was also getting annoying but after they all talked and became friends it became better. I actually started to like Celeste and I absolutely hate the fact that she was killed at the end! I was super sad that America's dad died, remember that time when America said that the only thing that she really wanted to happen in her wedding was for her father to give her away? Well, that didn't happen and it made me really sad. Maxon and her were super cute and the end and that night that they spent together was adorable. I hated that she didn't tell him about Aspen and that he found out like that (even though he was over exaggerating and he didn't even let America explain herself). The ending scene with the rebels and Maxon getting shot was really stressful and although I am glad that the king died, I hated that the queen did as well. I really liked her. The wedding at the ending was cute and all but I wanted more. I didn't want it to skip straight to the wedding, I wanted to see all the preparation and how America and Maxon were feeling and stuff. I also wanted to see their married life right after the wedding. I know that we'll get to see it on the next books but it's not gonna be the same. They're gonna be older and the story won't be about them. I don't want to leave them just yet and I need more Maxon and America cute moments!


Anyways, I really liked this series and it has become one of my favourites. It's cute and although it can be frustrating at times, it gives us a lot to think about and discuss. (I really recommend polandbananasbooks reviews! Christine is hilarious and she basically says everything that I think so yeah). Have you read these books? Comment what you think about them below!

No comments:

Post a Comment